Medical malpractice is a real issue, opposing a great threat to many people around the world. Every 43 minutes there is at least one medical malpractice payout. If you or a loved one have become a victim of a medical malpractice accident, then it is in your best interest to seek legal advice from a medical malpractice attorney. These types of cases can get tricky and are very time-sensitive. An experienced attorney can assist you in getting a settlement for expenses that occurred after your accident.
Statistics from the National Practitioner Data Bank show that in 2012:
- There was a total of 12,142 medical malpractice payouts
- 93% of those payouts resulted from a settlement
- 31% of claims were related to death
- 19% of people claimed that they suffered significant permanent injury
- 18% of people claimed that they suffered a major permanent injury
- 12% of people claimed that they suffered from brain damage, became a quadriplegic, or required lifelong care
- Medical malpractice payouts in New York totaled $763,088,250 dollars, the highest among all states.
- Pennsylvania ranked second, with medical malpractice spending at $316,167,500 dollars.
- California came in third, spending $222,926,200 dollars on medical malpractice cases, among all states.
- 33% of claims were related to a misdiagnosis
- 24% of claims were related to surgical error
- 18% of claims were related to mistreatment
- 4% of claims were related to the type of medication administered
- 3% of claims were related to anesthesia